This Thursday, September 13, 2012, is Get Up and Give! North Texas Giving Day. From 7 a.m. to midnight, every donation of $25 or more will be multiplied if given through www.DonorBridgeTX.org. Last year, this special day raised $10.7 million for nonprofits in our region. This year, the goal is $12 million.
There are 1,000 eligible nonprofits to give to (click here to see the full list), all striving to fulfill honorable missions and meet very real needs. Here at Commit! we firmly believe that education is the most effective vehicle to realizing the potential of our children – and our community.
As we strive to identify and spread practices proven to work for children right here in Dallas County, we are driven by the real challenges reflected below:
- We have 800,000 students, ages 0 to 22, in Dallas County.
- Seven out of 10 of our students grow up facing the challenges of poverty.
- Nationwide, fewer than half of all children who grow up in poverty are ready for school at age five.
- By 4th grade, only 1 in 3 Dallas County kids reads at a level that puts them on track for college.
- One out of five Dallas County students fails to graduate from high school in four years. Every year, the high school dropout rate costs our region $5 billion in lifetime earning potential.
- The dropout rate in Dallas area colleges is over 50 percent.
We must do better as a community. Schools can’t do it alone, and education nonprofits play a critical role in supporting our kids. So, as you consider making a gift on the 13th, we hope you’ll give to an effective education nonprofit. You can explore this 2012 Giving Guide or reach out to us at email@example.com to learn more. Join Us. Commit!